12 August 2016
Welcome everyone to the School Year 2016-2017!
This year promises more learning for the Grade 6 students in Science.
Weeks 1 and 2 have passed, and we have had new experiences.
This week we did the following:
1. First we talked about the Nature of Science.
2. Then you read the hand out about Grade 6 Science and played
a Kahoot! game to remember what you read.
3. You set goals for the year and wrote what you know about Structures and Living Things in your Google Docs. You also posted your first digital portfolio entry in a blogger site.
4. You learned how to use microscopes to look at prepared slides of plants and animals; you drew the plants and animals and then compared what they looked like.
If you did not complete the digital portfolio entry, come to tutorials on Monday so we can make sure it is completed.
Please check your Google Calendar for the week’s activities.
What a week! You deserve the weekend. Next week you have Wellness in Science.
We will have a quiz on Ecosystems, Food Chains, Food Webs and Biomes scheduled for the last lesson of next week. That is Thursday for Vergel HB and Friday for Hamaguchi, Beck and Benford Home bases.
To help you review better, I have linked 4 videos below.
We are ending the unit on Electricity with the final presentations and beginning a new unit and quarter with a Web Quest.
You can find the link to the Ecosystems, Food Chain, Food Web Quest 2016. Use this link to go to each site that you will need to complete the web quest.
Last week, you finished doing your experiment where you were doing some Magnetic Discoveries. Some of you finished writing up your Google document Lab Report and started on your Presentation document.
This week, you will
1. Complete your Presentation document.
2. Practice sharing your Presentation.
3. Present your Magnetic Discovery.
4. Reflect on the other presentations of your classmates.
At the end of the week, you will also summarize what you learned about Magnets and think about what you know about Electricity.
A couple of weeks back, you worked on the Magnetic Discovery Performance Task and some of you started writing in your Google Document. This is Wellness week in Science.
This week, you will finish with the Magnetic Discovery Performance Task and complete your Google Document. So this week, you will:
1. Finish your experiments and complete the Google Document.
2. When your results have been approved, you may start with your Google Document. Please make sure you use appropriate scientific language when writing. The document should read like an essay.
3. Make sure you have completed the following in your “Magnetic Discovery” paper.
a. Aim and Hypothesis,
b. Independent Variable,
c. Dependent Variable,
d. Controlled Variables,
e. Data Table(s) complete with title, units, labels and data.
4. You will be given time in class to work, but give yourself homework, too. Use the time wisely, because we only have 2 lessons because we have a holiday on Thursday and Friday this week. 🙂
09 February 2015
Last week, you continued working on the Inquiring into Magnetic Strength Task and were writing in your shared Google Document.
This week, you will finish with the Inquiring into Magnetic Strength Task and share your experience in class. You will also start on a Performance Task wherein you are working individually on an investigation that you come up with. Your investigation must not be about magnet strength but rather should be about what factor affects magnetism or magnets. So this week, you will:
1. Finish your Google Document and share with your classmates.
2. Start on your Performance Task entitled “Magnetic Discovery”.
a. Write your Aim and Hypothesis, and get it approved by the teacher.
b. Write your Independent Variable.
c. Write your Dependent Variable.
d. Write your Controlled Variables.
2. Get your Variables approved by the teacher.
3. Write the titles of your Data Table. Get this checked by the teacher. Only after this step will you be allowed to get your materials.
4. Do your experiment. Get results checked by teacher. If necessary, re-do the experiment.
5. When your results have been approved, you may start with your Google Document. Please make sure you use appropriate scientific language when writing. The document should read like an essay.
You will be given time in class to work, but give yourself homework, too. Use the time wisely, because we only have 3 lessons this week for most of you because we had a holiday on Monday this week. This is Wellness week in Math.
01 February 2016
Last week, you started working on the Inquiring into Magnetic Strength Task and most of you finished with the experimenting stage of this task. Some are still experimenting and are expected to finish the experiments by first lesson of this week. The ones who have completed their experiments have started documenting their investigation in a shared Google Document of the same title.
This week, you will continue with the Inquiring into Magnetic Strength Task and document your investigation. You will do this by:
1. Deciding whose document you will write on. Only ONE document will be marked.
2. Deciding what colors each partner will use on the document. This has to be written in the space provided.
3. Going over the whole document and understanding what is expected of you. If you don’t remember the meanings of some vocabulary words, please go to Ms. O’Regan’s blog (www.oreganr.ism-online.org) and access a copy of the Scientific Method vocabulary for the words you need to remember.
4. Discussing the answers to the questions, especially the Variables, Analysis, Conclusion and Evaluation before writing them down. This will ensure that both of you are aware of what is written in the document.
5. Deciding on the work load of each person – divide the work so each of you has an equal amount of work.
Once you have done all 5 steps, you can safely begin. It is a good idea to write a draft before typing up your lab report. Make sure you both know what to write down.
You will be given time in class to work. Use the time wisely, because we only have 3 lessons this week. It is Wellness Week in Science.
25 January 2016
Hello Science Guys,
January is almost over and we have a new task in the works.
We have completed the Energy Mini-Unit to introduce the other forms of energy that we will study. And now… we try to discover how magnets work. Yes, you know how they work, they attract, they repel. But do you REALLY know why they do that? This is our chance to find out.
This week, we will finish our Brain Pop on Magnetism and see what Bill Nye has to say about it.
Then, we will start on our own Discovery task. Students are working in assigned pairs. The task is to be recorded jointly in one Google Doc, using different colors for each person. When the investigations have been completed, each pair will share their findings to the class. Sharing will be sometime in February, so there is a lot of time to investigate.
More to come. Students, let’s go back to checking our Google Calendars so you know what’s coming up.
Hello Science Guys,
This is a short week.
This week, we recap our learnings from the Mung Bean Investigation in a blog post. We also make connections to see which aspects of How Science Works we did during this investigation.
We will continue to investigate solids, liquids and gases to add to our knowledge and understanding of their distinct properties. Get ready with your close toed shoes and hair tie if you have long hair. We will be doing labs this week and next.
Be sure to check your Google Calendars!
Happy short week!
Last week, you put finishing touches on your Google Presentation, practiced and started the presentations and reflections. Your Lab Report should also have been completed.
This week, you will continue with presentations, which will be on Monday and Wednesday. After which, you will Blog your Mung Bean Learning.
We have Parent Conferences this week, Monday and Tuesday, and Filipiniana on Friday. For Friday, please join us in Filipiniana costume or you might want to buy a shirt with this year’s theme – Salu-salo, and wear it during the day. The proceeds of the shirts will go to different service partners and projects of the PCA and PCC. We finally go off on a week long holiday and come back on November 3. 🙂
Please check your Google Calendar for detailed assignments.